With summer now upon us, you may be wondering how to make the most of the long sunny days without overheating. At SHUKR, we use fabrics that will keep you covered, cool and carefree throughout the summer months. Ease, comfort and ventilation are key factors when choosing summer clothing and picking smooth, absorbent fibres will make all the difference. We have put together our top five fabrics to help you stay both stylish and relaxed in the coming months:
1. Cotton Did you know cotton can take up to one fifth of its weight in water before it feels damp? Cotton is an absorbent material that will help to keep you dry and fresh even when you sweat. As well as being breathable and lightweight, cotton is a natural fibre that allows for excellent air circulation - perfect for those long hot days! Cotton is also hypoallergenic making it suitable for those with allergies or sensitive skin that can be exasperated in the summer.
2. Rayon Rayon is a soft fabric derived from cotton linters or wood pulp that is both breathable and comfy. Rayon drapes and hangs beautifully making any item a go-to piece for both comfort and style. Even more absorbent than cotton, Rayon is an excellent choice for summer clothing.
3. Tencel Tencel is the name for the fibre known as Lyocell. As a relatively new fibre, Tencel combines the luxury and comfort of natural fibres with the ease and practicality of man-made fibres. Highly absorbent and breathable, Tencel is a great option for staying cool and happy in the heat.
4. Modal A semi-synthetic cellulose fibre, Modal is classed as a type of Rayon. At 50% more absorbent than cotton, Modal is excellent at wicking moisture away from the body and keeping you feeling fresh and cool. Smooth and soft by nature, Modal is a great for warmer temperatures.
5. Bamboo With a natural sheen and silk like quality, bamboo is luxuriously soft and comfortable. A unique feature of bamboo fibres are that they contain an antibacterial agent that resists bacteria from growing. This keeps you clean and odour free, ideal for an active summer. Bamboo is also thermal regulating – cool in the summer and warm in the winter making it an excellent choice of fabric that can be worn all year round. Four times more absorbent than cotton, bamboo helps to evaporate moisture quickly and effectively. SHUKR has made use of all five fabrics in its summer range – why not check them out at www.shukronline.com and see how you can stay cool this season!