Bamboo Rayon is being touted as the next big thing in sustainable textiles, but what is it really? And why is it one of our favorite fabrics at SHUKR?
Rayon is a semi-synthetic fabric, which means it is made with natural, but chemically processed, polymers. What makes bamboo Rayon so special is the cellulose used to make the fabric comes from bamboo instead of the usual wood, paper, or cotton fiber.
Even though bamboo rayon must be chemically processed, the ecological benefits of using the plant are numerous. Bamboo is easy to grow and robust; plants can be harvested after 4 years, and due to its resilient root systems, there is no need for fertilizers, pesticides, or heavy farming machinery. Bamboo roots are also beneficial to the soil by hindering soil erosion.
If saving the planet isn’t your thing, here are 10 more reasons Bamboo Rayon blends should be in your closet this season:
1. The drape and natural sheen are comparable to silk, but at a fraction of the price
2. Bamboo Rayon can be machine washed and dried easily. “No Dry Clean Only” labels here!
3. The fabric is almost wrinkle-free! If you do need to iron, it can be done at a lower setting than cotton or linen, making your job much easier
4. It is durable and stronger than other natural fibers
5. Bamboo wicks away water, keeping the wearer comfortable and dry in hot and sticky situations
6. The fabric is hypoallergenic, great for people with sensitive skin
7. The structure of bamboo makes is more breathable and thermal regulating than other fabrics (including natural fabrics like wool, cotton, and hemp)
8. Bamboo fibers absorb dye better for more vibrant colored pieces
9. According to some people, Bamboo has natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties
10. Bamboo Rayon is oh so soft and feels lovely and light – perfect for summer.
Wondering where you can get your hands on some lovely Bamboo Rayon Cotton blends? Look no further and try out this wonder-fabric today